Greening STEM: The Environment as Inspiration for 21st Century Learning
National Environmental Education Week
April 15-21, 2012
Increasing STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) knowledge and expanding STEM education and career opportunities for students is a national priority. Student achievement in STEM is key to fostering a new wave of innovators who can creatively address complex 21st century challenges.
The environment is a compelling context for teaching STEM as it provides teachers with a diverse range of real-world challenges that engage students in meaningful hands-on opportunities to apply and reinforce STEM concepts across multiple subject areas.
Recognizing the role of the environment as a portal for STEM learning, EE Week's 2012 theme is Greening STEM: The Environment as Inspiration for 21st Century Learning.
Greening STEM Resources
- EE Week Greening STEM Planning Toolkits, coming soon
- Educator Webinar, coming soon
- Planet Connect Get Green Video Contest: Green Your City, student-created videos explaining ways they can green their city or town using STEM.
When you register for EE Week, you will join a national network of educators dedicated to increasing the environmental literacy of K-12 students. You will also receive:
- Free EE Week planning toolkits with information and grade-appropriate resources to help you plan and promote your school or organization's EE Week activities;
- Certificates of Participation for both you and your students;
- Monthly e-mail newsletters with classroom activities, funding resources and professional development opportunities;
- Access to an online library of environmental curricula, resources and classroom tools;
- Opportunities to promote your school or organization's programs and projects to a national audience of environmental educators;
- Access to the National Environmental Education Foundation's series of webinars designed especially for K-12 educators to facilitate teaching and learning about the environment;
- Opportunities for discounts and special offers for educational materials from our partners, including 10% off a purchase from Nature-Watch, a $10 coupon on orders of $50 or more from Acorn Naturalists and a discounted price of $6 a CD from Banana Slug String Band; and
- All registrants will automatically be entered into a drawing to win a one-year subscription from Green Teacher magazine. No purchase necessary. All registrants eligible for the drawing must be at least 18 years old, residents of the U.S., and meet all other eligibility requirements. Void where prohibited. For the complete Rules see www.eeweek.org/gtdrawingrules.
After you've registered, please access our promotional toolkit to download flyers, a press release template, web ads and more to help spread the word about your EE Week events and activities.